A saying that comes to mind at this point (you probably heard it from your mom or dad)..."The world is full of good intentions." You intend to lose weight, you intend to exercise more and eat less, you intend to be kinder, you intend to study the Bible, you intend to pay off the bills, you intend to patch up your marriage, you intend to do your job "as unto the Lord", you intend to spend more time with the kids (family)...the list could go on and on (and it does for a lot of folks) All of these are good intentions and listen to this...Very Doable! They don't have to be hard...we just make them hard.
Consider these 10 things:
- Plan to be a success...don't just hope things will fall into place. Proverbs 21:5 "The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance...."
- Be "sticky"! What do I mean by that? Learn how to "stick to it"...even when you don't "feel" like it. Our feelings have to be taken out of the equation. Galatians 6:9 "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."
- Have an accountability partner. It is amazing how important it is to have someone to share your successes with (imagine how it would be to share with someone your success in something you have been struggling with...whether it be diet or work, or whatever it may be). Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works..."
- If food is your Achilles Heel ... Learn to reward your successes with something other than food. That is something I have to learn big time...my hubby and I love to eat - but because of that, we will have to come up with something. If you have suggestions...be sure to share them.
- Don't be hard on yourself when you mess up...just chalk it up as what it is...then get back on track of doing the right things. Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
- Take advise from the right people...not everyone has your best interest at heart. Psalm 1:1-6
"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked"
- Use time wisely. Use the social media to help you and entertain you...but don't let it take over your life. (this one was just an afterthought...but a good one.) Ephesians 5:16 "Making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."
- Delight in the Lord...Do you desire to keep your New Year's Resolution. God wants only "good" things for you...so apply this verse to your life. Psalm 37:4..."Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. "
- Commit all you do to the Lord. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Here is how to make that happen...Proverbs 16:3 "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
- Be thankful! One of the most difficult things to do is to have a thankful heart when things aren't going as planned, but it is an important part of your success. Being thankful doesn't mean you have to want or even understand your circumstances...It just helps you be able to see things more clearly. Ephesians 5:20 "Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"